Re: [REGRESSION in 3.18][PPC] PA Semi fails to boot after: of/base: Fix PowerPC address parsing hack

From: Olof Johansson
Date: Mon Mar 09 2015 - 20:33:52 EST

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 5:28 PM, Michael Ellerman <mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2015-03-07 at 15:02 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>> On Fri, 2015-03-06 at 15:50 -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:

>> > FW updates on this platform are highly unlikely. Quirk it is.
>>
>> Oh I was not expecting a new FW, I was mostly wondering whether Steven
>> had the latest one since I *think* Michael has been testing with the
>> PA board we got here and didn't see that problem ... anyway, I'll check
>> with him early next week and clean up / submit that patch.
>
> Yeah I have been testing semi-regularly.
>
> 4.0-rc2 boots fine on mine.
>
> But mine is an Athena, Steve's is an Electra. So they're not identical.

I have a chitra in my boot farm, so I run every build I do on it. I
have not hit it either, which confused me.

Turns out that Steven's machine boots with idle=doze, which is the
part that makes all the difference.

FWIW, the three machines have roughly these diffs:

* Electra: First development/eval board. Funky USB on localbus, plenty
of PCI-e. Two GigE, one 10GigE XAUI. CompactFlash and IDE on localbus
too. Usually shipped with a PCI-e SATA card and a USB card.

* Chitra: Second edition dev/eval board. Moved SATA and USB on-board,
and removed some of the localbus hardware. Might have routed three
GigE out instead of 2, can't remember.

* Athena: Never released board with a smaller package chip, there's
only a few of these around. Can't comment too much on the specifics,
but it's similar to Chitra, and the silicon is the same.

> Mine is running:
>
> CFE version PAS-2.0.29 for ATHENA (64bit,MP,BE,PPC)
> Build Date: Mon Jun 30 11:47:25 PDT 2008 (mpl@mitch-1)
>
> Steve is your CFE older than that?
>
> Olof do you remember if that version or something newer is available for
> Electra?

That looks about as new as they come. My board runs a .29 too.

-Olof