Re: [RFC] With 8250 Designware UART, if writes to the LCR failed the kernel will hung up

From: long.wanglong
Date: Mon Mar 09 2015 - 03:22:59 EST

On 2015/3/7 11:01, Tim Kryger wrote:
> You only hit the silicon bug if you bombard the uart with characters
> and simultaneously request a baud rate or framing change.
>
> I'm not sure why you would do either to the uart console. Is it
> possible your host machine is doing something weird?
>
> If you have the leverage, remind the SoC vendor to upgrade the serial
> block. Synopsys fixed this a long time ago.
>
> -Tim

Hi, Tim

thanks for you reply. if we bombard the uart with characters and simultaneously
request a baud rate change, we hit the silicon bug.

Our scenario is to do stability testingïat the system booting, we bombard the uart
with charactersï, With this version(v3.0.6) Synopsys Serial, the expect are
print out the message(Couldn't set LCR to xxxx) and the kernel will not hung.

Maybe the next release of the board we will upgrade the serial block to the new version.
but the issue is that how we circumvent this problem in kernel?

do you have any ideas? thanks.

Best Regards
Wang Long

> On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Peter Hurley <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Zhang,
>>
>> On 03/06/2015 04:11 AM, Zhang Zhen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm testing 4.0-rc1 kernel on my board with 8250 Designware UART.(ARM Cortex-a15 single core).
>>>
>>> I found if serial is busy and writes to the LCR failed after tried 1000 times.
>>> The kernel will hung up.
>>>
>>> The system boot success after changed from:
>>>
>>> 95 static void dw8250_serial_out(struct uart_port *p, int offset, int value)
>>> 96 {
>>> 97 struct dw8250_data *d = p->private_data;
>>> 98
>>> 112 writeb(value, p->membase + (UART_LCR << p->regshift));
>>> 113 }
>>> 114 dev_err(p->dev, "Couldn't set LCR to %d\n", value);
>>> 115 }
>>> 116 }
>>>
>>> to:
>>>
>>> 95 static void dw8250_serial_out(struct uart_port *p, int offset, int value)
>>> 96 {
>>> 97 struct dw8250_data *d = p->private_data;
>>> 98
>>> 112 writeb(value, p->membase + (UART_LCR << p->regshift));
>>> 113 }
>>> 114 dev_info(p->dev, "Couldn't set LCR to %d\n", value); //changed here
>>> 115 }