Re: smp_call_function_single lockups

From: Rafael David Tinoco
Date: Thu Feb 19 2015 - 12:30:48 EST

I could only find an advisory (regarding sr-iov and irq remaps) from
HP to RHEL6.2 users stating that Gen8 firmware does not enable it by
default.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03645796

"""
The interrupt remapping capability depends on x2apic enabled in the
BIOS and HP ProLiant Gen8 systems do not enable x2apic; therefore, the
following workaround is required for device assignment: Edit the
/etc/grub.conf and add intremap=no_x2apic_optout option to the kernel
command line options.
"""

Probably for backwards compatibility... not sure if there is an option
to enable/disable it in firmware (like DL390 seems to have).
I don't think so... but I was told by HP team that I should use x2apic
for >= Gen8.