Re: brcmsmac: TX power blocked in BCM4313

From: Nikita N.
Date: Mon Feb 16 2015 - 13:53:15 EST

Hi Arend,
first of all, thank you for your answer.

I'm very sorry to hear that negative feedback.
So, AFAIU, there is no support in brcmsmac for regdom and power
settings.

I don't know how much Broadcom Corp. is complaint with IEEE Standard
802.11-2007 (page 531), along that decision.
Missing also the support for a complete functioning of tools such as
iwconfig and iw, doesn't put Broadcom Corp. very much Linux supporting.
When in fact in the Windows driver, the TX power control is explicitly
enabled and fully operational.

Now, I googled around, and found the following page:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
the README states explicitly:
"iwconfig eth1 txpower & iwlist eth1 txpower set and get the drivers
user-requested transmit power level. This can go up to 32 dbm and allows
the user to lower the tx power to levels below the regulatory limit.
Internally, the actual tx power is always kept within regulatory limits
no matter what the user request is set to."

Unfortunately, I don't know if also that STA driver works or not,
because I was not even able to successfully compile&install it over
latest Ubuntu shipped backports, even if applied all bug patches.
Whose patches, BTW, are coming open-source also from contributors out of
Broadcom Corp, driven simply by the wish to help the community, for
free.

So I would like to ask 3 questions:
1) Why the same STA redgom and power support (shipped with that STA
driver) was not applied also over the latest Linux backports?
2) What exact Ubuntu core version and backports version, have been
adapted by responsibility of Broadcom QA Testing team, to verify the
correctness of specifications advertized officially on that Broadcom
Corp. web page README?

Finally I would like to take the opportunity to ask you Arend, about a
issue I raised a year ago, here a remind FYI:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/117985

After more than *ONE* year, still the brcmsmac driver can not detect 11n
modulated frames in monitor mode.
Question:
3) Can (at least) that STA driver detect 11n modulated frames in monitor
mode?

I hope you or someone here will be able to answer those questions,
because I'm not going to replicate them elsewhere.
Since I got really frustrated by all those unsatisfactory products and
results from Broadcom Corp., the unsatisfactory support towards Linux
community, and the unsatisfactory Customers care.

Thanks for your attention.
--
Nikita N.
nikitan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx