Re: [GIT PULL] please pull file-locking related changes for v3.20

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Feb 16 2015 - 13:46:42 EST

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 6:00 AM, Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'll look at it again and also see if I can reproduce it with trinity.
> So far, I haven't been able to, but maybe I'll get lucky this time.

Can you please also remove the completely broken counters?

The f*ckers aren't even initialized, they are never used outside of
completely broken cifs code (hint: it doesn't take the spinlock, so it
just uses the counters as a random-number-generator), and even there
it would be better to just count the list instead of maintaining a
count of list entries - and doing it *wrong*.

The lock counters are broken. Get rid of them. Seriously. The reason I
care is that I tried to read the code to manage the locks in
fs/locks.c, and just passing the pointer to the counter around made it
unreadable. And when I actually tried to read it, and look at the
initialization, I see that they are never initialized.

This code is so broken that my initial reaction is "We need to just
revert the crap".

And no. The fix is *not* to just initialize those stupid things to
zero. The fix is to remove them.

Linus