Re: frequent lockups in 3.18rc4

From: Martin van Es
Date: Thu Feb 12 2015 - 06:09:28 EST

To follow up on this long standing promise to bisect.

I've made two attempts at bisecting and both landed in limbo. It's
hard to explain but it feels like this bug has quantum properties;

I know for sure it's present in 3.17 and not in 3.16(.7). But once I
start bisecting it gets less pronounced. I know it sound vague, but
the best explanations I get come up with are:
- The out-of-kernel dvb-c driver and hardware are playing funny games
(although being absolutely stable in 3.16?)
- and/or the problem consists of two or more commits that
independently don't express themselves like I see in 3.17?

So, my second bisecting ended at
3be738ad55d8e2b9d949eb0d830de5aa4d4f8e05, which is nonsense because
it's a commit to a staging module that I don't even compile.

Best I can come up with now is try the next mainline that has all the
fixes and ideas in this thread incorporated. Would that be 3.19?

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Best regards,
Martin

--
If 'but' was any useful, it would be a logic operator