Re: [RFC] change non-atomic bitops method

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Feb 03 2015 - 01:39:29 EST

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015 13:42:45 +0800 "Wang, Yalin" <Yalin.Wang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> #ifdef CHECK_BEFORE_SET
> if (p[i] != times)
> #endif

> ----
> One run on CPU0, reader thread run on CPU1,
> Test result:
> sudo ./cache_test
> reader:8.426228173
> 8.672198335
>
> With -DCHECK_BEFORE_SET
> sudo ./cache_test_check
> reader:7.537036819
> 10.799746531

You aren't measuring the right thing. You should compare

if (p[i] != x)
p[i] = x;

versus

p[i] = x;

and you should do this for two cases:

a) p[i] == x

b) p[i] != x

The first code sequence will be slower when (p[i] != x) and faster when

Next, we should instrument the kernel to work out the frequency of
set_bit on an already-set bit.

It is only with both these ratios that we can work out whether the
patch is a net gain. My suspicion is that set_bit on an already-set
bit is so rare that the patch will be a loss.