Re: SPDX-License-Identifier

From: Stefan Roese
Date: Mon Feb 02 2015 - 10:49:49 EST

On 21.02.2014 17:18, Michal Simek wrote:
On 02/21/2014 05:12 PM, Felipe Balbi wrote:
On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 05:04:26PM +0100, Michal Simek wrote:
On 02/21/2014 05:04 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 07:38:16AM +0100, Michal Simek wrote:
BTW: u-boot started to use SPDX-License-Identifier
which will be nice to start to use.

I agree, feel free to start sending patches to use this type of
identifier for drivers.

But we probably need to add that Licenses to one location.
Documentation/Licenses?

Just add to the drivers themselves, just like u-boot is doing. A simple:

$ git grep -e SPDX-License-Identifier

will tell you filename and license. Or did I misunderstand your question ?

But for doing this it is probably necessary to have location where
you will place that licenses and you will explain what it is how
it is done by Wolfgang in this commit.

http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=commitdiff;h=eca3aeb352c964bdb28b8e191d6326370245e03f

Then yes, adding one line is enough.
I would like to revive this thread regarding SPDX license identifiers in the Linux kernel. And check how to best start / proceed with the integration now.

Greg, if you are open to patches adding this one-line SPDX license tag to the source code, how should I begin with such a task in your opinion? Should I add those tags for just one driver directory (e.g. drivers/base/*) first? And send those patches to the list(s) for review. Or do you have other suggestions on how to start with this task?

Any comments and / or suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks,
Stefan