Re: [v3 13/26] KVM: Define a new interface kvm_find_dest_vcpu() for VT-d PI

From: Radim Kr?mÃ?
Date: Wed Jan 21 2015 - 16:17:19 EST

2015-01-20 23:04+0200, Nadav Amit:
> Radim Kr?mÃ? <rkrcmar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 2015-01-14 01:27+0000, Wu, Feng:

> >> I think it was starting with Nehalem.
> >
> > Thanks, (Could be that QPI can't inform about TPR changes anymore ...)
> >
> > I played with Linux's TPR on Haswell and found that is has no effect.
>
> Sorry for jumping into the discussion, but doesnât it depend on
> IA32_MISC_ENABLE[23]? This bit disables xTPR messages. On my machine it is
> set (probably by the BIOS), but since there is no IA32_MISC_ENABLE is not
> locked for changes, the OS can control it.

Thanks, I didn't know about it.
On Ivy Bridge EP (the only modern machine at hand), the bit was set by
default. After clearing it, TPR still had no effect.

The most relevant mention of xTPR I found is related to FSB [1].
[2] isn't enlightening, so there might be more from QPI-era ...

---
1: Intel E7320 Memory Controller Hub (MCH) Datasheet
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/datasheet/e7320-memory-controller-hub-datasheet.pdf
5.2.2 System Bus Interrupts
2: Intel Xeon Processor E5 v2 Family: Datasheet, Vol. 2
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/xeon-e5-v2-datasheet-vol-2.pdf
6.1.2 IntControl