Re: [RFC 2/3] regmap: Use the enhancement of i2c API to address circular dependency problem

From: Paul Osmialowski
Date: Tue Jan 20 2015 - 06:14:56 EST

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015, Mark Brown wrote:

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 10:31:22AM +0100, Paul Osmialowski wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jan 2015, Mark Brown wrote:

What I'm saying is that I want to understand this change from a point of
view that isn't tied to I2C - at the regmap level what is this doing,

From the regmap point of view, it allows its functions to have a chance to
prepare transfer medium for (synchronous) transfer (no matter what bus
handles it) before it actually start to happen (then unprepare it when it's
done) and crucially before any lock is obtained in functions like
regmap_write(), regmap_read() or regmap_update_bits.

OK, so that's what should go in the changelog (along with an explanation
of why this preparation is required at all) - but I still don't see the
async bit of this I'm afraid.

I don't think preparation stage should be exposed for asynchronous transfer. Due to its nature, it shouldn't cause circular lock dependency as we can observe for synchronous io. Since i2c does not support async transfer anyway (so (map->async && map->bus->async_write) will be always false for i2c transfers), let's use spi as an example.

With spi we have curious situation where both sync and async are handled by the same __spi_async() function, though for sync transfer wait_for_completion() is called soon after __spi_async() in order to ensure that transfer is completed.

Actual transfer is handled by spi_transfer_one_message() called from spi_pump_messages(). Note that spi_pump_message() before it calls spi_transfer_one_message() also calls prepare_message() callback (if provided):

if (master->prepare_message) {
ret = master->prepare_message(master, master->cur_msg);

So we have some candidate to expose if we would like to modify regmap-spi.c similarly to regmap-i2c.c. Thing is, we don't need to expose it for asynchronous transfer. If master->prepare_message() callback obtains some lock, which is unfortunately held by other task that waits for a lock already obtained by regmap_write_async() it will not wait forever since call path started in regmap_write_async() is not blocked by things like wait_for_completion() and should soon end calling map->unlock(map->lock_arg).

Maybe adding a pair of callbacks (map->reg_write_sync_prepared(),
map->reg_read_sync_prepared()) would make situation clearer.

No, I don't think so - it'd just complicate the callers.

I2C is a bus that has some properties which you're saying needs some
changes, what are those properties and those changes?

I'm not saying I2C as a bus requires changes. What I'm saying is that I2C
API can be extended to allow more detailed control on what happens with the
transfer.

My point here is that your explanation is in terms of I2C specifics and
not really at a generic regmap level.

Can you be more specific please? If something needs preparing it seems
like it'd need preparing over an async transaction just as much as over
a synchronous one.

Even with those preparation and unpreparation stages, this transfer is still
synchronous. For example, it starts when regmap_read() starts and ends when
regmap_read() ends. Nothing is queued or deferred. Namely, when
max_gen_clk_unprepare() function calls regmap_update_bits() it expects that
when regmap_update_bits() returned, no outstanding transfer are happening
nor waiting to proceed. Everything must be completed before returning to
max_gen_clk_unprepare().

That doesn't address my question - all you're saying is that in a
synchronous call path things are synchronous which is fine but obviously
regmap supports async I/O too.

Not in this pattern where the caller needs to check too.

I don't persist on that. Apparently, you're the author of this file, though
regmap_init() function was later expanded by other guys. They never assigned
bus callback function pointers directly to map operation callbacks. It is
possible to replace 'map->reg_prepare_sync_io = regmap_bus_prepare_sync_io'
with 'map->reg_prepare_sync_io = map->bus->prepare_sync_io' - this will
compile and this will work properly. But IMHO it wouldn't match with what
the others did.

If you look at the other callbacks they're doing other things beyond
simply forwarding the functions on. That's the problem here, the
functions just add a layer of indirection and nothing else.

Yes, I added layer of indirection just because the others added layer of indirection - there is no functional requirement behind that. It can be easily removed.