Re: futex(2) man page update help request

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Thu Jan 15 2015 - 17:24:17 EST

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> > [EINVAL] uaddr equal uaddr2. Requeue to same futex.
>
> ??? I added this, but does this error not occur only for PI requeues?

It's equally wrong for normal futexes. And its actually the same code
checking for this for all variants.

> > [EDEADLOCK] The futex is already locked by the caller or the kernel
> > detected a deadlock scenario in a nested lock chain
>
> Added.

It's actually EDEADLK

> > [EOWNERDIED] The owner of the futex died and the kernel made the
> > caller the new owner. The kernel sets the FUTEX_OWNER_DIED bit in the
> > futex userspace value. Caller is responsible for cleanup
>
> There is no such thing as an EOWNERDIED error. I had a look
> through the kernel source for the FUTEX_OWNER_DIED cases and didn't
> see an obvious error associated with them. Can you clarify? (I think
> the point is that this condition, which is described in
> Documentation/robust-futexes.txt, is not an error as such. However, I'm
> not yet sure of how to describe it in the man page.)
> I will add this point as a FIXME in the new draft man page.

Oops. My bad. That's not the what the kernel does. The kernel merily
marks it in the futex itself with FUTEX_OWNER_DIED. User space needs
to deal with that and the posix users return EOWNERDEAD (not
EOWNERDIED], so it's not part of the futex call itself.

We had discussions about returning EOWNERDEAD in that case, but then
glibc with its sophisticated error handling prevented that ....

> > FUTEX_TRYLOCK_PI
> >
> > This operation tries to acquire the futex at uaddr. It deals with the
> > situation where the TID value at uaddr is 0, but the FUTEX_HAS_WAITER
> > bit is set. User space cannot handle this race free.
>
> Added.
>
> > The arguments uaddr2, val, timeout and val3 are ignored.
>
> ??? But the code reads:
>
> case FUTEX_TRYLOCK_PI:
> return futex_lock_pi(uaddr, flags, 0, timeout, 1);
>
> which momentarily misleads one into thinking that 'timeout' is used.
> And: it's not quite ignored, since in futex_lock_pi() a non-NULL
> 'timeout' is unconditionally dereferenced (meaning you could get
> an EFAULT error for a bad 'timeout' pointer).
> I'm confused....

Indeed. That's just wrong.

> Maybe the above code should be
>
> case FUTEX_TRYLOCK_PI:
> return futex_lock_pi(uaddr, flags, 0, NULL, 1);
> ?

Care to send a patch?

> > FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI
> >
> > Wait operation to wait on a non pi futex at uaddr and potentially be
> > requeued on a pi futex at uaddr2. The wait operation on uaddr is the
> > same as FUTEX_WAIT. The waiter can be removed from the wait on uaddr
> > via FUTEX_WAKE without requeuing on uaddr2.
>
> Added.
>
> > The timeout argument is handled as described in FUTEX_WAIT.
>
> The above seems not to be correct. I've written the discussion of
> 'timeout' up as I understand it, and added a FIXME to the draft page.
>
> > Darren, can you fill in the missing details?
>
> > Return values:
> >
> > [EFAULT] Kernel was unable to access the futex value at uaddr or
> > uaddr2
>
> Already covered.
>
> > [EINVAL] The supplied uaddr or uaddr2 argument does not point to a
> > valid object, i.e. pointer is not 4 byte aligned
>
> Already covered.
>
> > [EINVAL] The supplied timeout argument is not normalized.
>
> Already covered.
>
> > [EINVAL] The supplied bitset is zero.
>
> ??? I don't believe this can happen. 'val3' is internally set to
> FUTEX_BITSET_MATCH_ANY. Can you confirm?

Right. We dont support that bitset stuff in requeue_pi ATM.

Thanks,

tglx