Re: [GIT PULL] platform-drivers-x86 for 3.19

From: Darren Hart
Date: Tue Jan 13 2015 - 12:56:21 EST

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 02:12:44PM -0800, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Kirill A. Shutemov
> <kirill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 12:05:45PM -0800, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:

> >> What aspect of the old behavior is better than the new default behavior?
> >
> > It's not necessary better. The new behavior just broke my use-case.
> >
> > I don't have anything in my system what would react on KEY_MUTE and I used
> > the functionality platform provides until it suddenly stopped working.
> >
> > I personally can live with new thinkpad_acpi. I'll probably update my
> > configuration to react on the software button.
> >
> > But who else will get frustrated after update to v3.19?
>
> Can you try the equivalent of:
>
> bindsym XF86AudioMute exec amixer -q set Master toggle
>
> for your desktop environment? Note that this is exactly what you'd do
> if you were using any laptop that wasn't a thinkpad.

Unless we hear back from Kirill on why this isn't workable, I'm inclined to
leave this as is. Between the kernel module option and this keybinding,
equivalent behavior can be easily achieved, and the general use case is
significantly improved.

The current gap appears to be the mute LED in the button itself, which can be
addressed moving forward.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center