Re: [RFC] A question about memcg/kmem

From: Johannes Weiner
Date: Tue Jan 13 2015 - 09:25:56 EST

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:24:24PM +0300, Vladimir Davydov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There's one thing about kmemcg implementation that's bothering me. It's
> about arrays holding per-memcg data (e.g. kmem_cache->memcg_params->
> memcg_caches). On kmalloc or list_lru_{add,del} we want to quickly
> lookup the copy of kmem_cache or list_lru corresponding to the current
> cgroup. Currently, we hold all per-memcg caches/lists in an array
> indexed by mem_cgroup->kmemcg_id. This allows us to lookup quickly, and
> that's nice, but the arrays can grow indefinitely, because we reserve
> slots for all cgroups, including offlined, and this is disastrous and
> must be fixed.
>
> I see several ways how to sort this out, but none of them looks perfect
> to me, so I can't decide which one to choose. I would appreciate if you
> could share your thoughts on them. Here they are:
>
> 1. When we are about to grow arrays (new kmem-active memcg is created
> and there's no slot for it), try to reclaim memory from all offline
> kmem-active cgroups in the hope one of them will pass away and
> release its slot.
>
> This is not very reliable obviously, because we can fail to reclaim
> and have to grow arrays anyway.

I don't like this option because the user doesn't expect large swathes
of page cache to be reclaimed simply because they created a new memcg.

> 2. On css offline, empty all list_lru's corresponding to the dying
> cgroup by moving items to the parent. Then, we could free kmemcg_id
> immediately on offline, and the arrays would store entries for online
> cgroups only, which is fine. This looks as a kind of reparenting, but
> it doesn't move charges, only list_lru elements, which is much easier
> to do.
>
> This does not conform to how we treat other charges though.

This seems like the best way to do it to me. It shouldn't result in a
user-visible difference in behavior and we get to keep the O(1) lookup
during the allocation hotpath. Could even the reparenting be constant
by using list_splice()?

> 3. Use some reclaimable data structure instead of a raw array. E.g.
> radix tree, or idr. The structure would grow then, but it would also
> shrink when css's are reclaimed on memory pressure.
>
> This will probably affect performance, because we do lookups on each
> kmalloc, so it must be as fast as possible. It could be probably
> optimized by caching the result of the last lookup (hint), but hints
> must be per cpu then, which will make list_lru bulky.

I think the tree lookup in the slab allocation hotpath is prohibitive.

> Currently, I incline to #1 or (most preferably) #2. I implemented
> per-memcg list_lru with this in mind, and I have patches bringing in
> list_lru "reparenting". #3 popped up in my mind just a few days ago. If
> we decide to give it a try, I'll have to drop the previous per-memcg
> list_lru implementation, and do a heavy rework of per-memcg kmem_cache
> handling as well, but I'm fine with it.
>
> I would be happy if we could opt out some of those design decisions
> above. E.g. "I really hate #X, it's a no-go, because..." :-) Otherwise,
> I'll most probably go with #2, which may become a nasty surprise to some
> of you.

What aspects of #2 do you think are nasty?