Possible bug in initramfs RAM handling

From: Tobias Powalowski
Date: Mon Jan 12 2015 - 11:20:47 EST

Hi,
I have a weird bug here with initramfs,
I have big initramfs files around 150MB zipped, 400MB extracted.
I suppose the needed RAM to boot this setup should be around:
150MB zipped initramfs+ 400MB extracted initramfs + 5MB kernel image.
Our distro kernel has tmpfs support, booting this setup without kernel
parameter needs around 1000MB RAM to boot.
Using rootfstype=ramfs makes it work with around 600MB RAM.

Is this a bug in kernel code?
Shouldn't both types not use the same amount of RAM?
I used kernel 3.18.2 at the moment but issue is reproducable with 3.15 too.

Thanks for your help.
greetings
tpowa

--