Re: [GIT PULL] platform-drivers-x86 for 3.19

From: Kirill A. Shutemov
Date: Sun Jan 11 2015 - 18:00:53 EST

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 09:51:27AM -0800, Darren Hart wrote:
> thinkpad-acpi using software mute simplifies the driver and the user experience
> significantly.

Except when it doesn't.

I'm probably in minority, but I don't use fancy userspace to mess with my
mixer and the mute button worked just fine for me before the change.
Wasted half an hour to find out what happened is not a pure win from user
experience point of view.

Is it really necessary to have software_mute_requested == true by default?
Can fancy userspace ask for desired behaviour instead and change kernel to
not send hotkeys change notification until software_mute is enabled?

--
Kirill A. Shutemov