Fwd: Question about kernel interfaces

From: Siddhartha De
Date: Wed Jan 07 2015 - 07:16:36 EST

I have already asked this question on the kernelnewbies IRC but I
wanted a bit of feedback from the Linux gurus ...

Is sysfs 'supposed' to be a read only where various kernel parameters
are exposed to be read ? Or are they 'supposed' to be writable too ?

Are all drivers in future required to expose interfaces in sysfs ?

If the answer to the above is true , then would we be really requiring
IOCTL calls at all anymore ... because all that we would need to do to
make a driver do something is to change values in some of the files in
sysfs ... for eg to call a ioctl called DO_SOMETHING on driver D1 we
would be doing :

echo 1> /sysfs/D1/IOCTLS/DO_SOMETHING ( or something like that ... :) )

Are there any plans of exposing the kernel api ( that is syscalls and
libc ) as sysfs files ... for eg

echo 1> /sysfs/libc/get_system_time
cat /sysfs/libc/results/system_time

Would it be a good idea to do this ?

How about exposing core system calls , libc and any new libraries over
http/over the network ? This would make calling ioctls and really low
level stuff from high level languages like Java a trivial process .
For eg right now if I wanted to call some function say foo () in
library my_library.so in Java I would have to take the JNI/JNA route
... doable but not exactly 'easy' ( same for other high level
languages ) ... whereas in the new way all I would have to do is send
a request to say :-
http://localhost:7000/my_library/foo?arg1=something,arg2=something
( Just wanted a frank discussion on this idea .... )

Thanking you in anticipation ,

Yours sincerely ,

Kernel newbie