Re: Linux 3.19-rc3

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Tue Jan 06 2015 - 12:38:22 EST

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 07:55:39AM -0500, Peter Hurley wrote:
> [ +cc Paul McKenney ]
>
> On 01/06/2015 07:20 AM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> >> Probably no good reason, that code is pretty old :)
> >>
> >> If I was to hazard a guess, I had my own lockless linked lists before llist.h
> >> existed and perhaps I did it with atomic_xchg() - which was at least documented
> >> to not imply a barrier. I suppose it should just be dropped.
> >
> > We (probably me) should probably audit all the atomic_xchg()
> > implementations and documentation and fix that. I was very much under
> > the impression it should imply a full barrier (and it certainly does on
> > x86), the documentation should state the rule that any atomic_ function
> > that returns a result is fully serializing, therefore, because
> > atomic_xchg() has a return value, it should too.
>
> memory-barriers.txt and atomic_ops.txt appear to contradict each other here,
> but I think that's because atomic_ops.txt has drifted toward an
> arch-implementer's POV:
>
> 260:atomic_xchg requires explicit memory barriers around the operation.
>
> All the serializing atomic operations have descriptions like this.

I am not seeing the contradiction.

You posted the relevant line from atomic_ops.txt. The relevant passage
from memory-barriers.txt is as follows:

Any atomic operation that modifies some state in memory and
returns information about the state (old or new) implies an
SMP-conditional general memory barrier (smp_mb()) on each side
of the actual operation (with the exception of explicit lock
operations, described later). These include:

xchg();
atomic_xchg(); atomic_long_xchg();

So it appears to me that both documents require full barriers before and
after any atomic exchange operation in SMP builds. Therefore, any
SMP-capable architecture that omits these barriers is buggy.

So, what am I missing here?

Thanx, Paul