Re: Bisected regression from 3.17 still present in 3.19-rc1

From: Andreas Mohr
Date: Thu Jan 01 2015 - 15:40:51 EST

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> There's your problem. The Darwin call results in the firmware exposing
> the battery via SBS, not as an ACPI control method battery. Enable
> CONFIG_ACPI_SBS and you should be good.

Hmm, do I smell a possible usability case here?
Two choices:
a) declare a non-CONFIG_ACPI_SBS kernel
to be a "broken/inconsistent configuration"
(e.g. when used with a "Darwin" personality)
which thus will "simply not work"
(--> limitation is "by design"),
thus simply give up
b) declare CONFIG_ACPI_SBS to be cleanly optional/dynamic,
and then in case missing CONFIG_ACPI_SBS happens to be requested
try to give hints that it is missing

a) may easily be fully acceptable, but if b) is deemed better,
then perhaps there are ways
(such as failing calls --> generate log error message, ...)
to nicely determine/diagnose/report this issue.

Andreas Mohr