Re: [perf tool] cgroup support broken on Debian?

From: Zefan Li
Date: Tue Dec 16 2014 - 22:03:44 EST

On 2014/12/17 10:29, Stephane Eranian wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 3:20 AM, Zefan Li <lizefan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> The trivial fix is to just always assume things will be under
>>> /sys/fs/cgroup
>>> which looks like to be the new official mount point.
>>>
>>> This will break on older systems though, or systems that mount cgroupfs in
>>> multiple locations.
>>>
>>> Another alternative is to change the interface to require the full
>>> cgroupfs pathname as an argument to -G
>>>

>> What's the problem here?
>>
>> none /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs rw,relatime,size=4k,mode=755 0 0
>> systemd /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event,name=systemd 0 0
>>
>> cgroup is mounted in /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd, so you should pass '/' to the -G argument:
>>
> Is that the only mountpoint possible?
> The tool needs to detect a valid mount point to locate the named cgroup.
> That's assuming that if I create cgroup foo, then it appears under
> //sys/fs/cgroup/systemd/foo

There can be only one cgroupfs mountpoint which has perf_event subsystem
attached to it.

So for this setup:

mount -t tmpfs /sys/fs/cgroup
mkdir /sys/fs/cgroup/memory
mkdir /sys/fs/cgroup/perf
mount -t cgroup -o memory memcg /sys/fs/cgroup/memory
mount -t cgroup -o perf_event perf /sys/fs/cgroup/perf

The perf tool will locate the mountpoint as /sys/fs/cgroup/perf.