Re: [RFC 0/4] Stop maintainer abuse

From: Jonathan Corbet
Date: Tue Dec 16 2014 - 13:09:46 EST

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 22:09:46 -0800
Kevin Cernekee <cernekee@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This patch series amends the kernel development process to reduce the
> load on key maintainers during peak periods, by discouraging the submission
> of non-urgent patches while the merge window is open.

You do understand the irony of posting this during the merge window,
right? :)

In general, I worry about trying to codify things too much just because
different maintainers have different expectations. As Linus noted, some
maintainers have their work done by the time the merge window starts and
can take patches just fine â until something catches fire, at least.

I'll await a revision taking account the feedback you've gotten, just
adding my own suggestion to phrase things as guidelines rather than
hard-and-fast rules.

Thanks,

jon