Re: Re: [RFC RESEND 0/3] Add watermark support to devfreq

From: MyungJoo Ham
Date: Tue Dec 16 2014 - 01:42:47 EST

Alexandre Courbot:

> MyungJoo, the issue of having this feature in the core vs. having it
> as a devfreq "extension" aside, do you agree with the core idea? An
> informl ack for the idea would allow us to start leveraging this for
> the ACTMON driver. With a concrete user it will make it easier for
> everyone to understand how the pieces should fit together.

Yes, I love the idea of event/interrupt-driven DVFS and I agree with
the core idea. The remaining concern is that the current "implementation"
might be too invasive to the subsystem while it does not need to be as
a governor can always choose not to poll. And the other issues are
quite minor as well.

Actually, it appears that next-generations of some architectures
(I think I cannot publically say which and when) are going to support
this for general peripherals on the bus and the CPU soon.

Cheers,
MyungJoo