Re: [GIT PULL] tracing/NMI/printk: Use seq_buf for safe printing from NMI context

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Dec 11 2014 - 00:29:45 EST

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Would it perhaps be possible/reasonable to also use this to get rid of
> the horrible "early_printk()" stuff [...]

Another question: the "preempt_disable/enable()" around the use of the
per-cpu vprintk_func thing seems dubious.

Why do I say that? I think it cannot possibly make sense. Anybody who
sets that function pointer to any per-cpu value has to disable
preemption for that to make sense, so doing it inside the printk()
paths seems dubious at best.

No?

Linus