Compiled tridentfb hangs but distribution kernel works fine

From: Ondrej Zary
Date: Tue Dec 09 2014 - 16:33:53 EST

Hello,
I'm doing some work on tridentfb driver but encountered a weird problem.

When I compile custom kernel with tridentfb, it hangs with Blade3D card (ID
0x9880) in blade_image_blit(). The screen is blank with some artifacts and
machine does not respond to ping or keyboard. However, it can be rebooted by
Alt+SysRq+B. It works fine with other cards (3DImage 9750 and CyberBlade XP)
with no blit implementation. Commenting out contents of blade_image_blit()
function makes the hang go away (nothing useful on the screen, of course).

The weird thing is that the Blade3D card works fine when I load Debian
kernels! Debian 3.16-0.bpo.3-686-pae works fine but when I compile 3.16
kernel, it hangs.

Any ideas?

--
Ondrej Zary