Re: crypto: user - crypto_alg_match removal

From: Steffen Klassert
Date: Tue Nov 25 2014 - 04:24:25 EST

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 05:06:01PM +0800, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 09:42:25AM +0100, Steffen Klassert wrote:
> >
> > Well, I think there is a small but important difference. If a user
> > requests a driver name that would match an algorithm name (i.e. cbc(aes)
> > instead of cbc(aes-asm)) crypto_alg_lookup() returns the algorithm with
> > the highest priority instead of telling that we don't have a driver with
> > the name cbc(aes).
>
> Does this matter though? The current user interface is only used to
> query specific driver names which should never be equal to an
> algorithm name. So doing so already invokes undefined behaviour.

Using an algorithm name as a driver name is a misconfiguration.
We currently, catch these kind of misconfigurations beacuse
we match only driver names with crypto_alg_match().

crypto_alg_lookup() would return the algorithm with the highest
priority in this case and this would indeed lead to undefined
behaviour.