Re: frequent lockups in 3.18rc4

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Wed Nov 19 2014 - 19:31:23 EST

On Nov 19, 2014 4:00 PM, "Thomas Gleixner" <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2014, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Sorry, I can't follow your argumentation here.
> > >
> > > pcpu_alloc()
> > > area_found:
> > >
> > > /* clear the areas and return address relative to base address */
> > > for_each_possible_cpu(cpu)
> > > memset((void *)pcpu_chunk_addr(chunk, cpu, 0) + off, 0, size);
> > >
> > > How would that memset fail to establish the mapping, which is
> > > btw. already established via:
> > >
> > > pcpu_populate_chunk()
> > >
> > > already before that memset?
> >
> > I think that this will map them into init_mm->pgd and
> > current->active_mm->pgd, but it won't necessarily map them into the
> > rest of the pgds.
>
> And why would mapping them into the kernel mapping, i.e. init_mm not
> be sufficient?

Because the kernel can run with any pgd loaded into cr3, and we rely
on vmalloc_fault to lazily populate pgds in all the non-init pgds as
needed. But this only happens if the first TLB-missing reference to
the pgd in question with any given cr3 value happens from a safe
context.

This is why I think that the grsec kernels will crash on very large
memory systems. They don't seem to get this right for the kernel
stack, and a page fault trying to access the stack is a big no-no.

--Andy