Re: Looking for good references for ARM driver development

From: Mason
Date: Wed Nov 19 2014 - 12:19:37 EST

On 19/11/2014 17:57, Victor Ascroft wrote:

This actually depends on the kernel you are using. Do you have relatively
new kernel or an old one? Depending on that, either you will get that
information in a board file or else in the device tree in arch/arm/boot/dts.

I'll reply more thoroughly later, but I wanted to address this question.
We're targeting kernel 3.14.x

This depends. If you have driver compiled in with the kernel this will happen
on kernel boot up. If you have the driver as a loadable module, the probe hook
will be called on modprobe or insmod.

Is this an answer to question 5?
I think there is some confusion with the "probe" terminology.

I meant "probe" as in "read the current value".
I think you mean "probe" as in "the driver probes for the device through
the probe method."

I meant to ask how often the hwmon framework "polls" the temperature sensor.

Regards.