Re: [patch 08/16] genirq: Introduce callback irq_chip.irq_write_msi_msg

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Tue Nov 18 2014 - 09:33:11 EST

On Tue, 18 Nov 2014, Yun Wu (Abel) wrote:

Can you please trim the messages when you're replying?

> The above you described is absolutely right, but not the things I want
> to know. :)
> Take GICv3 ITS for example, it deals with both PCI and non PCI message
> interrupts. IIUC, several irq_chips need to be implemented in the ITS
> driver (i.e. pci_msi_chip, A_msi_chip and B_msi_chip). What should we
> do to the ITS driver if new MSI-capable devices come out?

You seem to miss the stacking here

PCI-MSI ->
A-MSI -> ITS -> GIC
B-MSI ->

So each of the device types has its own MSI controller. Each of them
will have their own callbacks and are backed by the underlying ITS/GIC
implementation.

And that's the only sensible solution.

Thanks,

tglx