Re: absurdly high "optimal_io_size" on Seagate SAS disk

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Thu Nov 06 2014 - 13:15:43 EST

On 2014-11-06 11:12, Martin K. Petersen wrote:
"Chris" == Chris Friesen <chris.friesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Chris> That'd work, but is it the best way to go? I mean, I found one
Chris> report of a similar problem on an SSD (model number unknown). In
Chris> that case it was a near-UINT_MAX value as well.

My concern is still the same. Namely that this particular drive happens
to be returning UINT_MAX but it might as well be a value that's entirely
random. Or even a value that is small and innocuous looking but
completely wrong.

Chris> The problem with the blacklist is that until someone patches it,
Chris> the drive is broken. And then it stays blacklisted even if the
Chris> firmware gets fixed.

Well, you can manually blacklist in /proc/scsi/device_info.

Chris> I'm wondering if it might not be better to just ignore all values
Chris> larger than X (where X is whatever we think is the largest
Chris> conceivable reasonable value).

The problem is that finding that is not easy and it too will be a moving
target.

Didn't check, but assuming the value is the upper 24 bits of 32. If so, might not hurt to check for as 0xfffffe00 as an invalid value.

--
Jens Axboe