Re: khugepaged / firefox going wild in 3.18-rc

From: Norbert Preining
Date: Thu Nov 06 2014 - 07:39:15 EST

Hi Vlastimil

thanks for your answer.

In the meantime I have tried rc3, too, with the same effects.

Interestingly, once it goes into a bad state, every future approach
does the same. I started shotwell (photo organizer) and it went into the
same state (khugepaged / shotwell each using about 100% of CPu time).

On Thu, 06 Nov 2014, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> Could be that another task holds the mmap_sem during THP allocation attempt on
> its own page fault, and compaction goes in some kind of infinite loop. There are

My feeling somehow is about the plugin-container in firefox ...
(flashplayer or something similar, but I might be wrong!). With shotwell,
I have no idea why.

> I suggested testing a commit revert in one thread, and a possible fix in the
> other. If you can reproduce this well, that would be very useful.

Which commit are you talking about? I can easily revert some/all of what you
want and do test runs.

> khugepaged using CPU also points to either the address space scanning, or
> compaction going wrong. Since 8b1645685ac it shouldn't hold mmap_sem during
> compaction, but that still leaves page faulters to possibly hold it.

So, do you mean I should try reverting 8b1645685ac?

> So yeah we would need the stacks of processes that do hog the CPU's, not those
> that sleep. As David suggested, a /proc/pid/stack could work. Also can you
> please provide /proc/zoneinfo ?

Again, as I mentioned, I don't have /proc/pid/stack for any "pid", is
this depending on some specific kerenl option?

/proc/zoneinfo I have and can send you the next time.

Thanks a lot and all the best

Norbert