Re: [ANNOUNCE] 3.14.23-rt20

From: Juerg Haefliger
Date: Wed Nov 05 2014 - 09:04:38 EST

Resending to the list due to mailer/html issues.

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Mike Galbraith <umgwanakikbuti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-10-31 at 17:03 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > Dear RT Folks,
> >
> > I'm pleased to announce the 3.14.23-rt20 stable release.
> >
> > This is the first 3.14-rt release in the stable-rt series. Normally I
> > wait till the next development release is out before I pull in a new
> > one. That is, I would pull in 3.14-rt when 3.16-rt or later was
> > released. But because development is now moving at a "hobbyist rate"
> > (read http://lwn.net/Articles/617140/ for details)
> > and 3.14-rt is no longer being developed against, I figured it was
> > time
> > to put it under the "stable-rt" umbrella.
>
> I piddled about with it yesterday, found that you can't change cpufreq
> governor IFF the tree is configured as rt, but works fine as voluntary
> preempt.

The problem seems to be this patch: https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/8/584

The cpufreq code does nested down_read_trylocks and only the first one succeeds:

drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq.c:
store
down_read_trylock(cpufreq_rwsem) <- succeeds
store_scaling_governor
cpufreq_get_policy
cpufreq_cpu_get
down_read_trylock(cpufreq_rwsem) <-- fails

Reverting the above patch 'fixes' the problem. I don't understand
Steven's commit comment that readers of rwsem are not allowed to nest
in mainline since this works just fine in mainline.

...Juerg