Re: [RFC v2 1/4] backports: replace CPTCFG prefix for CONFIG_BACKPORT

From: Johannes Berg
Date: Fri Oct 31 2014 - 16:22:33 EST

On Fri, 2014-10-31 at 20:34 +0100, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> > I really think you need to make this optional for the in-tree
> > generation, otherwise it will complicate things a lot for anyone who's
> > already using backports in a way that doesn't have it regenerated all
> > the time.
>
> Logistically I do agree this will implicate tons of merge conflicts
> if a git tree was used for development based on backports, however
> functionally I don't expect this this to create divergence.

Agree, but it's going to be a nightmare from the merge point of view,
and also the CPTCFG_ is nicer to replace back and forth between
backports-based development and the kernel, due to this:

> > Additionally, CPTCFG_ had the advantage of having the same length as
> > CONFIG_, so code style wise it was nicer to replace.

> > Please make this a post-process step that runs on everything, including
> > the backport stuff, rather than running only on the source and assuming
> > the backport stuff already uses this convention.
>
> I want to but lets consider the amount of work to maintain the two
> separate approaches, is it worth it?

I don't see why it'd be maintaining two approaches? Right now we have
scripting to replace CONFIG_ with CPTCFG_, so couldn't we just add more
scripting to replace CPTCFG_ with CONFIG_BACKPORT_ ?

That also makes me think of something else - we currently use BACKPORT_
as a prefix for some of the other stuff under compat/Kconfig, and in
fact rename some things (like CONFIG_BACKPORT_AVERAGE) so maybe also
using CONFIG_BACKPORT_ here isn't a great idea? Might want to use
something else, say CONFIG_BPT_ or so.

johannes