RCU fanout leaf balancing

From: Daniel J Blueman
Date: Sat Oct 25 2014 - 16:39:43 EST

Hi Paul,

Finding earlier reference to increasing RCU fanout leaf for the purpose of "decrease[ing] cache-miss overhead for large systems", would your suggestion be to increase the value to the next hierarchy core-count above 16?

If we have say 32 interconnected 48-core servers; 3 sockets of dual-node 8-core Opteron 6300s, so 1536 cores in all. Latency across the coherent interconnect is O(100x) higher than the internal Hypertransport interconnect, so if we set RCU_FANOUT_LEAF to 48 to keep leaf-checking local to one Hypertransport fabric, what wisdom would one use for RCU_FANOUT? 4x leaf?

Or, would it be more cache-friendly to set RCU_FANOUT_LEAF to 8 and RCU_FANOUT to 48?

Many thanks,
Daniel
--
Daniel J Blueman