[RFC] memory cgroup: weak points of kmem accounting design

From: Vladimir Davydov
Date: Mon Sep 15 2014 - 06:44:58 EST

Hi,

I'd like to discuss downsides of the kmem accounting part of the memory
cgroup controller and a possible way to fix them. I'd really appreciate
if you could share your thoughts on it.

The idea lying behind the kmem accounting design is to provide each
memory cgroup with its private copy of every kmem_cache and list_lru
it's going to use. This is implemented by bundling these structures with
arrays storing per-memcg copies. The arrays are referenced by css id.
When a process in a cgroup tries to allocate an object from a kmem cache
we first find out which cgroup the process resides in, then look up the
cache copy corresponding to the cgroup, and finally allocate a new
object from the private cache. Similarly, on addition/deletion of an
object from a list_lru, we first obtain the kmem cache the object was
allocated from, then look up the memory cgroup which the cache belongs
to, and finally add/remove the object from the private copy of the
list_lru corresponding to the cgroup.

Though simple it looks from the first glance, it has a number of serious
weaknesses:

- Providing each memory cgroup with its own kmem cache increases
external fragmentation.

- SLAB isn't ready to deal with thousands of caches: its algorithm
walks over all system caches and shrinks them periodically, which may
be really costly if we have thousands active memory cgroups.

- Caches may now be created/destroyed frequently and from various
places: on system cache destruction, on cgroup offline, from a work
struct scheduled by kmalloc. Synchronizing them properly is really
difficult. I've fixed some places, but it's still desperately buggy.

- It's hard to determine when we should destroy a cache that belongs to
a dead memory cgroup. The point is both SLAB and SLUB implementations
always keep some pages in stock for performance reasons, so just
scheduling cache destruction work from kfree once the last slab page
is freed isn't enough - it will normally never happen for SLUB and
may take really long for SLAB. Of course, we can forbid SL[AU]B
algorithm to stock pages in dead caches, but it looks ugly and has
negative impact on performance (I did this, but finally decided to
revert). Another approach could be scanning dead caches periodically
or on memory pressure, but that would be ugly too.

- The arrays for storing per-memcg copies can get really large,
especially if we finally decide to leave dead memory cgroups hanging
until memory pressure reaps objects assigned to them and let them
free. How can we deal with an array of, say, 20K elements? Simply
allocating them with kmal^W vmalloc will result in memory wastes. It
will be particularly funny if the user wants to provide each cgroup
with a separate mount point: each super block will have a list_lru
for every memory cgroup, but only one of them will be really used.
That said we need a kind of dynamic reclaimable arrays. Radix trees
would fit, but they are way slower than plain arrays, which is a
no-go, because we want to look up on each kmalloc, list_lru_add/del,
which are fast paths.

The more I think about these issues the more confident I get that the
whole design is screwed up. So I'd like to discuss a possible
alternative to it.

The alternative is dumb simple. Let's allocate objects of all memory
cgroups from the same cache. To determine which memory cgroup the object
is accounted to on kfree, a pointer to the owner memory cgroup or its
css id is stored with the object. For each kind of shrinkable object
(inodes, dentries) a separate list_lru is introduced per each memory
cgroup. To store inodes and dentries allocated by a memory cgroup in
those lists, we add an additional list_head to them.

Obviously such an approach wouldn't be affected by any of the issues of
the current implementation I enumerated above, so these are the benefits
of it. The downsides would be:

- Memory wastes. Each kmalloc'ed object must have a pointer to the
memory cgroup it's accounted to. Each shrinkable object must have an
extra list_head with it. However, there wouldn't be external
fragmentation like with per-memcg caches, which would probably
compensate for that.

- Performance. We have to charge on each kmalloc, not on each slab page
allocation as it's the case with per memcg caches. However, I think
per cpu stocks would resolve this problem.

- Inflexibility. It wouldn't be easy to add a new kind of shrinkable
object as it's the case with per memcg lru lists. We have to make the
kmem cache used for the object allocations store list_head with each
object and add yet another list_lru to the mem_cgroup struct. But do
we really need such a level of flexibility? On memcg pressure we only
want to shrink dentries and inodes. Will there be anything else?

Any comments, thoughts, proposals are really welcome.

Thanks,
Vladimir