Re: [RFC v2 3/6] kthread: warn on kill signal if not OOM

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Mon Sep 08 2014 - 21:11:16 EST

Hello, Luis.

On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 06:04:23PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > I have no idea how the selection should be. It could be per-insmod or
> > maybe just a system-wide flag with explicit exceptions marked on
> > drivers is good enough. I don't know.
>
> Its perfectly understandable if we don't know what path to take yet
> and its also understandable for it to take time to figure out --
> meanwhile though systemd already has merged a policy of a 30 second
> timeout for *all drivers* though so we therefore need:

I'm not too convinced this is such a difficult problem to figure out.
We already have most of logic in place and the only thing missing is
how to switch it. Wouldn't something like the following work?

* Add a sysctl knob to enable asynchronous device probing on module
load and enable asynchronous probing globally if the knob is set.

* Identify cases which can't be asynchronous and make them
synchronous. e.g. keep who's doing request_module() and avoid
asynchronous probing if current is probing one of those.

Thanks.

--
tejun