Re: [RFC] Add "rpm_not_supported" flag

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Tue Jul 01 2014 - 19:00:24 EST

On Monday, June 30, 2014 10:42:19 AM Alan Stern wrote:

> > > I don't. Of course, that doesn't mean much.
> >
> > The only tool I'm aware of that may be looking at them is powertop, so
> > if the change doesn't affect powertop adversely, it should be generally
> > safe.

> > > It'll be a learning experience...
> >
> > Yes, it will. :-)
>
> Then you have no other objections to the patch?

My concern still is that it will be confusing, because people won't read the
documentation carefully enough and will confuse "runtime PM never used" with
"hardware can't do PM". I'm not sure how to make that more clear, though.

Also we have the no_callbacks flag and I wonder if/how it is related to the
new one. Do we still need both?

In addition to that, I think that "hardware can't do PM" should apply to the
handling of system suspend resume too.

Rafael