Re: [RFC 0/2] __vdso_findsym

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Sun Jun 15 2014 - 14:54:44 EST

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 11:39 AM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Symbol versioning so we can rev the ABI and still provide backwards compatibility. Weak symbols so the libc can override symbols if it considers it appropriate. This is a good thing.

Are we ever going to change, say, the __vdso_clock_gettime ABI without
renaming the function? If we want to preserve that ability, I can
keep support for versions, but it seems odd.

I don't buy the weak symbol argument at all. We currently expose a
strong symbol __vdso_clock_gettime and a weak alias clock_gettime. I
agree that, if glibc treats us as a real DSO, then clock_gettime can't
be strong, but I don't see why it should exist at all (other than for
backwards compatibility).

--Andy