Re: balance storm

From: Mike Galbraith
Date: Tue May 27 2014 - 04:13:39 EST

On Tue, 2014-05-27 at 15:44 +0800, Libo Chen wrote:
> On 2014/5/26 22:03, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> > On Mon, 2014-05-26 at 19:49 +0800, Libo Chen wrote:
> >
> >> how to turn off SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES in userspace ?
> >
> > I use a script Ingo gave me years and years ago to
> > twiddle /proc/sys/kernel/sched_domain/cpuN/domainN/flags domain wise.
> > Doing that won't do you any good without a handler to build/tear down
> > sd_llc when you poke at flags though. You can easily add a sched
> > feature to play with it.
>

> I make a simple scriptï
>
> for ((i=0;i<=15;i++))
> do
> echo 4143 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_domain/cpu$i/domain1/flags
> done
>
> In our kernel SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCE is 0x0200, the original flag value is 4655,
> domain1's name is MC.
>
> but migrations event doesn't reduce like yours, what problem? I wouldn't like
> recompile kernel :(

Hm, I thought you were a kernel hacker, but guess not since that would
be a really weird thing for a kernel hacker to say :) Problem is that
there's no handler in your kernel to convert your flag poking to sd_llc
poking.

I could send you a patchlet, but that ain't gonna work, neither that nor
the commit I pointed out will seep into the kernel via osmosis. There
should be a kernel hacker somewhere near you, look down the hall by the
water cooler, when you find one, he/she should be able to help.

-Mike