Re: dcache shrink list corruption?

From: Al Viro
Date: Wed Apr 30 2014 - 14:36:58 EST

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 07:33:38PM +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:

> >> Hmm, patches look okay, but I'm wondering if we really need the morgue list and
> >> the waiting. Why not just skip dentries that are presently being handled by
> >> dentry_kill()?
> >
> > Who will be freeing them? If we do that from dentry_kill(), we are back to
> > needing them removed from shrink list by something called by dput(). And
> > if we do that from shrink_dentry_list(), we'd damn better wait for
> > dentry_iput() et.al. to finish.
>
> We can do it from dput if the shrinker gets there first and from the
> shrinker if dput manages to finish before. See the updated patch in
> the previous mail.

Er? The only patch I see is removal of RCU from shrink_dentry_list(), which
is fine, but doesn't do anything of that sort. What was the Message-ID?

Let me see if I understand what you are proposing:
dentry_kill(dentry, 0) seeing DCACHE_DENTRY_KILLED
check DCACHE_MAY_FREE, free it's been set
dentry_kill(dentry, 1) seeing that we are on shrinker list
leave on the list, do the work on killing, retake ->d_lock,
if we are still on shrinker list
set DCACHE_MAY_FREE,
else
free it