Re: 64bit x86: NMI nesting still buggy?

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Tue Apr 29 2014 - 14:48:44 EST

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> > Just to be clear here -- I don't have a box that can reproduce this; I
> > whole-heartedly believe that even if there are boxes with this behavior
> > (and I assume there are, otherwise Intel wouldn't be mentioning it in the
> > docs), it'd be hard to trigger on those.
>
> I see your point. But it is documented for those that control both NMIs
> and SMMs. As it says in the document: "If the SMI handler requires the
> use of NMI interrupts". That to me sounds like a system that has
> control over both SMIs *and* NMIs. The BIOS should not have any control
> over NMIs, as the OS requires that. And the OS has no control over
> SMIs.
>
> That paragraph sounds irrelevant to normal BIOS and OS systems as
> neither "owns" both SMIs and NMIs.

Which doesn't really help me being less nervous about this whole thing.

I don't believe Intel would put a completely arbitrary and nonsencial
paragraph into the manual all of a sudden. It'd be great to know the
rationale why this has been added in the first place.

> > We were hunting something completely different, and came through this
> > paragraph in the Intel manual, and found it rather scary.
>
> But this is all irrelevant anyway as this is all hypothetical and
> there's been no real world bug with this.

One would hope. Again -- I believe if this would trigger here and here a
few times a year, everyone would probably atribute it to a "random hang",
reboot, and never see the bug again.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs