Re: Clarification needed on use of put_user inside a loop

From: Mateusz Guzik
Date: Fri Apr 25 2014 - 15:06:18 EST

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 09:39:57PM +0530, Kumar Gaurav wrote:
> Hence when transferring data involves loops then checking permission
> (using access_ok()) once should be good to go then after we can
> simply transfer data using __put_user(), instead of using put_user()
> itself in loop.

Well, I can't tell you whether this is a good idea, but:

This looks correct and other code is doing this already.

However, put_user calls might_fault, but __put_user consumers I found
(e.g. copy_siginfo_to_user) don't do that.

While it has only debugging purposes and would not change anything for
those consumers, it seems to be a bug to not include it.

Thus I suggest adding access_ok variant which calls might_fault.

--
Mateusz Guzik