Re: linux-next: manual merge of the audit tree with Linus' tree

From: Eric Paris
Date: Wed Apr 16 2014 - 08:08:31 EST

On Wed, 2014-04-16 at 14:02 +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> You could have avoided this by doing a fast forward merge of v3.15-rc1
> instead of the v3.14 merge (since everything in your tree before that
> merge was also in Linus' tree by v3.15-rc1).

This is a situation I've never really known the right way to handle. I
certainly could/can fast forward to 3.15-rc1, but then I have a random
crap development base for the audit tree. Which is especially bad sine
-rc1 doesn't even boot on my main machine.

What I've always done is to merge the last release right after the pull
and go from there, but it clearly leaves conflict potential

Which is preferred? I've always enjoyed having my trees based on a
release....