Re: Regression in intel_idle on Avaton/Rangely Mohon Peak board

From: Paul Gortmaker
Date: Tue Apr 01 2014 - 19:46:13 EST

[RE: Regression in intel_idle on Avaton/Rangely Mohon Peak board] On 01/04/2014 (Tue 17:59) Brown, Len wrote:

> > I've got an eval board with a 1.7GHz Avaton/C2000 that hangs at boot
> > shortly after the idle driver registration -- typically 1/2 dozen
> > dmesg lines later, around rtc init, or net stack init.
>
> Paul,
> Please boot the failing board with "intel_idle.max_cstate=0"
> to disable intel_idle entirely, and then show the C-states
> exported by acpi_idle, that predumably, are stable on both boards:
>
> dmesg | grep idle
> grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/*/*
>
> Then go back and boot with "intel_idle.max_cstate=N"
> where N is incremented by 1 until when the system fails
> and note the largest N that still works.

OK, I kept the failing board on loan, since I expected a reply that
would contain "can you try this..." :) I will be able to do the
above tomorrow (EST).

> > The interesting part is that a nearly identical board, but with
> > different (newer/faster) CPU and newer BIOS doesn't have the hang.
>
> Possibly an electrical bug in the earlier board.
> Maybe they worked around it by disabling a C-state in ACPI
> and didn't test upstream Linux?
>
> I'd be interested in the acpi_idle output above for both the
> new and old boards to see if they are exporting different states
> on the two boards.

Could be ; I can probably get access to the newer one again too, if
that will be useful.

> dmidecode isn't useful in this case. The CPUID in /proc/cpuinfo
> may be useful if the problem turns out to be associated with
> some stepping.

The dmidecode info I'd posted indicated that the steppings were
unnchanged. I can get the /proc/cpuinfo tomorrow, but I figured
the dmidecode stepping info was accurate. Is it not reliable?

P.