Re: kernfs/rtc: circular dependency between kernfs and ops_lock

From: Lars-Peter Clausen
Date: Mon Mar 31 2014 - 07:06:34 EST

On 03/31/2014 12:43 PM, Alessandro Zummo wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 11:52:36 +0200
Lars-Peter Clausen <lars@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's the same bug, device_unregister(&rtc->dev) will try to unregister all
sysfs files attached to the device and that function is still called with
the rtc mutex held.

rtc-cmos tries to unregister the rtc device in the probe function,
which should not be done.

the last patches fixes it. I'll keep trying to trigger the bug on my systems.

It doesn't really matter where it is unregistered. device_unregister() will (somewhere down it's callchain) take the kernfs lock, hence it must be callled with the rtc mutex being held.

- Lars