[bug?] can't unmount filesystem after running "exportfs -u" -- dangling refcount?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Fri Mar 21 2014 - 12:38:00 EST

I'm seeing some odd behaviour on an NFS server.

We're running 3.4.82 and have a drbd-replicated filesystem (active/standby) that is exported via NFS (explicitly v3, and /proc/fs/nfsd is mounted).

On a server switchover we take down the NFS server IP address, run "exportfs -u" on the exports, unmount the drbd filesystem, and then demote drbd from primary to secondary.

The problem we're seeing is that sometimes "exportfs -u" completes successfully but "umount" fails with an error that the filesystem is busy. When this happens, "fuser" doesn't see any userspace users, which points at the kernel thinking it has a reference open.

When it's in the stuck state, manually running "exportfs -f" seems to resolve the issue so that "unmount" can run.

Are there any known issue in this area?

I'm not currently subscribed to the list, so please CC me on replies.

Thanks,
Chris