Re: [x86, vdso] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at d34bd000

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Mar 10 2014 - 17:39:30 EST

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 2:25 PM, <stefani@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This was discovered by me.

Sorry for the misattribution.

> But this is not a real solution, at least when vcpu function support
> will be added, then the code size will exceed the page size. Reserving
> two pages for the VDSO is a good option.

Quite frankly, there is no way in hell I will take a patch like that
for 3.14 any more, and I would argue against it for stable.

Now, if this problem never happens with current kernels (because it's
purely due to the patch in -tip), then I don't much care.

That said, I don't understand why we are even adding new features like
this to 32-bit mode in the first place, so if that patch is the sole
source of all this headache, then why not just throw the patch away?

Linus