Re: [alsa-devel] change kmalloc into vmalloc for large memory allocations

From: Mark Brown
Date: Mon Mar 03 2014 - 22:47:26 EST

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 11:33:24PM +0800, Wang, Yalin wrote:
> Hi Takashi,
>
> I see,
>
> I just want to save low memory for kmalloc use,
> So I want to filter out large memory allocations
> To use vmalloc instead ,
>
> It will be preferable, if there is a better solution :)
>
> Thank you for your clarification.

Don't top post.

Without having seen the earlier mails in the thread I'm not 100% sure on
the specifics here but wouldn't a more generic solution be to deal with
this in the memory management code?

As far as I can tell the concern is that the runtime structures are
taking up too much memory when allocated using kzallloc? We're also
doing lots of small allocations for things like DAPM which will
presumably also be burning this memory and will I expect for most
systems end up being more than that consumed by the runtime structures.