Re: Final: Add 32 bit VDSO time function support

From: Stefani Seibold
Date: Sun Mar 02 2014 - 03:01:54 EST

Am Samstag, den 01.03.2014, 14:56 -0800 schrieb H. Peter Anvin:
> On 02/28/2014 06:00 PM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> >
> > This leads to a potentially interesting question: is rdtsc_barrier()
> > actually necessary on UP? IIRC the point is that, if an
> > rdtsc_barrier(); rdtsc in one thread is "before" (in the sense of
> > being synchronized by some memory operation) an rdtsc_barrier(); rdtsc
> > in another thread, then the first rdtsc needs to return an earlier or
> > equal time to the second one.
> >
> > I assume that no UP CPU is silly enough to execute two rdtsc
> > instructions out of order relative to each other in the absence of
> > barriers. So this is a nonissue on UP.
> >
> > On the other hand, suppose that some code does:
> >
> > volatile long x = *(something that's not in cache)
> > clock_gettime
> >
> > I can imagine a modern CPU speculating far enough ahead that the rdtsc
> > happens *before* the cache miss. This won't cause visible
> > non-monotonicity as far as I can see, but it might annoy people who
> > try to benchmark their code.
> >
> > Note: actually making this change might be a bit tricky. I don't know
> > if the alternatives code is smart enough.
> >

> Let's put it this way... this is at best a third-order optimization...
> let's not worry about it right now.

IMHO it is the behaviour that most developer expect. It would a bad idea
to get a time value before the previous operations are not finished. In
some use case this will result in a fail.

Imagine a HW where two designated register can only consecutively
accessed after a given time period is elapsed. This would be normally
done by a busy loop for very short periods. It would be okay when the
time period to wait is exceeded, but will maybe fail when the wait time
is to short.

- Stefani