Re: perf_fuzzer compiled for x32 causes reboot

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Fri Feb 28 2014 - 10:40:47 EST

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 07:13:06AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> If I'm reading this right we end up going from the page fault
> tracepoint to copy_from_user_nmi() without going through NMI, and the
> cr2 corruption is obvious. I guess the assumption that only the NMI
> path needed to save cr2 is flawed?

It was never assumed it would only go through NMI, but that it would be
NMI safe -- and as it turns out, it is that.

What I did assume was that any other callsites would be safe, seeing how
they'd already be running in 'normal' contexts.

I had not considered people putting tracepoints _that_ early in the
exception paths.

Note that there's more tracepoints there than the one mentioned.