Re: [BUG] deadlock on rename_lock

From: Waiman Long
Date: Thu Feb 27 2014 - 23:07:22 EST

On 02/27/2014 07:45 PM, Jaegeuk Kim wrote:
Hi Al,

In the following configuration, I met a deadlock condition like below.

Kernel: 3.14-rc3
Workload: fsstress with 10 threads
Reproducible scenario: N/A

Is it related to this patch?
commit 1370e97bb2eb1ef2df7355204e5a4ba13e12b861
Author: Waiman Long<Waiman.Long@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu Sep 12 10:55:34 2013 -0400

seqlock: Add a new locking reader type

In d_walk(),
/*
* might go back up the wrong parent if we have had a
rename
* or deletion
*/
if (this_parent != child->d_parent ||
(child->d_flags& DCACHE_DENTRY_KILLED) ||

--> I suspect that the upper conditions can trigger rename_retry even
though rename_retry was done once before.

need_seqretry(&rename_lock, seq)) {
spin_unlock(&this_parent->d_lock);
rcu_read_unlock();
goto rename_retry;
}

Thanks,

It seems like the rename_lock may not be able to fully protect against the setting of the DCACHE_DENTRY_KILLED flag. Al, should this case be handled separately? I am 100% sure if we could just release the lock and let it try again without causing infinite loop.

-Longman