Re: [ANNOUNCE] 3.12.12-rt19

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed Feb 26 2014 - 22:07:58 EST

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 02:55:20 +0400
Pavel Vasilyev <pavel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> No, because in positional number systems, an increase in the senior level,
> junior reset, but not stays the same. Mainline kernel and patches is senior level.

If you notice, there's no '.' between the mainline version and the rt
version. It's a dash "-rtX". What that number represents is the version
of the patch series for that release. We don't start a new version at
each stable release, but we do start a new one at each major release.

Thus, -rt19 is the 19th version of this rt patch series. When we rebase
on top of another major release, a lot of rewrites need to be done, and
we start a new version series.

Resetting the -rt number at each minor release would not be useful to
us and thus not necessary.

-- Steve